From SEIAA to SEIA(A)
Solar Energy Industries Australia, the body that looked after our industries interests has joined forces with several other renewable energy groups to form a more powerful lobbying and support group. The other organisations involved are ANZSES (Australia & New Zealand Solar Energy Society), SEICA (Sustainable Energy Industries Council of Australia), REIAA (Renewable Energy Industries Association of Australia), ACRE (Australian CRC for Renewable Energy & CASE (International Centre for Application of Solar Energy). The new group is known as SEIA(A) - Sustainable Energy Industry Association Australia. The new association creates a real opportunity to achieve industry cohesion & growth. The President of the new association, Gordon Thompson, listed 5 key issues which SEIA would be concentrating on.
- The implementation of the 2% renewable energy target that came out of Kyoto.
- Working with government on industry development strategies.
- Helping to develop a national sustainable energy policy.
- Focusing on energy efficiency and encouraging government to implement its policies.
- Establishing mechanisms to increase R&D expenditure on sustainable energy.
We hope that this new body will help promote public awareness as well take care of the needs of the renewable energy industry.